Thursday, February 2, 2012

"The Lesson"

    On the library tutorial page I found some interesting subjects. I watched many of the videos because I am a student and most of us don't like reading how to do something. Visual aids are much more useful. So I watched the provided material and found out about some new things within the CSU's library. I actually haven't been around the library much and I was hoping to find something that would help me get better at  researching in the library, but I couldn't find anything. In many of the videos about students living in the age of the internet, I discovered that many students share my views. They are just as confused and inexperienced in researching as I am. They get frustrated of not finding the source that they seek and often procrastinate as I do. It's a bad habit but sometimes I'm forced into a corner of work that it has to be done that way. Overall, the library's page is a bit useful. I was hoping to find one video to guide me through the library and its resources but it was not present.
    In Toni Cade Bambara's, The Lesson, a group of young students and their teacher Ms. Moore take a field trip to the toy store.  The narrator is a young girl who is displeased of learning and apathetic to Ms. Moore's lessons. Ms. Moore attempts to teach the children about the unfairness in America and takes them to a toy store. At first they wait outside of the store and glance through the window. They are amazed at all the wonderful toys and each of them has something they desire to obtain. But the one thing that captures all of the students attention is a sailboat that costs $1,000. This representation of unfairness is shown through money. This piece reveals that money is not being equally obtained by the people in this country. The children looking though the window symbolizes the wants that they cannot achieve. The cost of the sailboat is more than all the children's savings in a year. How is that fair? Why would people spend that much money on a TOY sailboat when there are struggling people who could use that money for better worth? As Sugar explains to Ms. Moore after leaving the toy store, "It is not much of a democracy if you ask me. Equal chance to pursue happiness means equal crack at the dough,  don't it?" America claims to have equal opportunities but cases like this happen so often that equal opportunity is a false pretense.

2 comments:

  1. I like that sailboat picture! It's so PHOTOGRAPHY! =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it too. It took me a long time to find it.

      Delete